Sunday, June 3, 2012

Cave Days

Written on June 2, 2012


I am a cavemommy.

Yes, my children are doing the Paleo diet too.  I could not have a loaf of bread sitting in the pantry, staring at me, willing me to make pb&j out of it.  And since I didn't "believe" in grains anymore, I would not be feeding prepackaged ravioli squares that look like plastic, to my infant.  Or the cracker "wheels".  I may feel a little bad now for stooping so low and feeding my baby and preschooler crud that actually isn't really food at all.  But that has all changed.

I know my children feel better for it too.  I just imagine that as much as I feel better just in general, and my well being has improved immensely and I have tons of energy now and how I don't feel weighed down by my food anymore, my kids are feeling it too.  I have noticed improvements in my children that speak for themselves.  My daughter's blocked and compacted bowels and one and a half year struggle with constipation are over.  Gone.  She is talking like crazy, saying things that blow me away, she's sharp as a tack.  Her mood and irritability have improved.  She is much more affectionate and just happier in general.  There are more smiles coming from that girl than before, perhaps a mirror of my own new actions and feelings.  And Anderson is eating like a king at every meal and that is making for one happy baby.  He will never remember how things used to be, pre-paleo.  He'll never remember us being fat or lazy, or moody from months of calorie restriction.  He'll never remember evenings of carb and sugar cravings.  Parents who couldn't keep up.  A mommy who was constantly in a haze of brain fog from not eating enough fats.  He'll never have to remember these things.

I would like to say "what were you smoking?!" to the creators of the food pyramid.  It's a perfect example of how NOT to eat.  So far, eating this way has scared the hoo hoo out of me because it goes against everything I was taught, well, forever.  Unlimited fat?  Cook with bacon grease?!  Ok?  Ummm, are we sure that's ok?  Eat nuts until you're not starving anymore?  Eat delicious foods when you're hungry and eat until you're satisfied.....excuse me, what?  I love this diet and so far it is working amazingly.  We have stepped into the "Forever Paleo" category, and quite early on might I say.  We have decided that this is going to be a lifelong lifestyle for my family and I.  I imagine when my kids are older and teenagers, we will all eat this way.  And they will take it along with them when they start their own little families and build health and longevity for their loved ones the Paleo way.

I ate cake yesterday.  I went to a graduation party.  It was the best cake I ever had and I enjoyed every single morsel and when it was gone I was happy and done and didn't need more like a monster.  I was glad I had that experience.  I didn't regret it one bit and if I could do yesterday over again, I'd certainly do that the same.  It was a hiccup and we will have them along the way.  But after that, I returned back to my roots, which is cavewoman, cavewifey and cavemommy.  This is where I truly belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment