Sunday, June 3, 2012

Smoke And Haze

Andy has gone on a smoking frenzy!  Meat, that is.  Ribs.  Pork loin.  Chicken!  Turkey burgers!!!  Oh my!!

We realized that our success on this new lifestyle depended upon us cooking food for the week all at once and freezing it.  This works because our daughter, who is 3, and our son, who will be one any minute now, team up against cavemommy all day with adorable or destructive and distracting forces.  It was totally reasonable for the original cavemommies to gather and cook all day; life was simply set up so much differently.  There was a community.  A village in which to raise the babies.  I'll go make soup for both our families if you herd and corral the children all day.  Things like that.  And grandmas were just a tent away, waiting to rear the children if you'd do her foraging.

I've done a lot of thinking about cave people and the cave life lately.

I don't know why everyone doesn't smoke meats all the time.  Why would you want to eat meat any other way??  And why have I ever?!  The meats are all full of flavor, juicy, tender, melt in your mouth...  Every other meat is inferior.  Plain and simple.  We will be eating good all week.

I brought up a strange and unexpected side effect of the Paleo lifestyle to Andy today.  It made sense as I was talking about it and let's see if I can get it to make sense again.  I've noticed a change in myself of being happy with less.  We've been eating Paleo for just over a week now.  I used to want and want and want - this, that, anything.  Material items.  I NEED new shoes.  I NEED that book.  Genie bra?  Yes, I need one.  I don't know what it is but yes I need it (if it grants wishes, I'm in).  Eating the Paleo way is almost a discipline - overindulgence is clear to me now and how unnecessary it is.  Not just in eating but in all things.  I'm suddenly fine with getting by with as little as possible.  We have plenty of what is most important in survival - healthy, life-giving, energizing foods.  Everything else is just details.


No comments:

Post a Comment